I wanted to show off my latest project, a DIY Soap Rack that I made for curing and storing our handmade soaps! Once we have a test batch done, our soaps will go up for sale in our Etsy shop!
Handmade Soaps and The Rack
I thought I would talk a bit about this. Justin and I have been making our own soap for almost 2 years now. We’ve been using a hot-process method only because I thought cold-process was “melt and pour” soap, which it isn’t. I detest melt and pour soaps from hobby shops and to be perfectly honest, soap without lye is not soap. Lye causes oils to go through a process called saponification, if that doesn’t happen, it’s not actually soap. Don’t be afraid of lye, it’s really not a big deal to use and I’ve never, even with my first batch, had soap go wrong and burn me. Just follow your recipe.
The main difference between the two processes is that hot-process soap is ready for use almost immediately while cold-process soap takes 3-4 weeks of curing before it’s ready to use. From my experience though, cold-process soaps are much more luxurious and literally feel silky whereas hot-process soaps are more like cheap bar soaps at the store. Just my opinion.
Anyway, Justin and I have been waiting for an opportunity to order soap supplies in bulk so we can start producing soaps to sell! We finally had some extra cash come in from selling off unused items, so we made the purchase! After I purchased the soap I realized that we would need a larger area to cure soap, something that would be able to hold a lot of soap, but also small enough to be tucked out of the way.
You wouldn’t believe it, but I had a dream about building this rack and as soon as I woke up I sketched it on a piece of paper with measurements. And then over the next couple of days I built it. Weird how that works sometimes huh?
Anyway, the rack is 3.5ft tall and it has six shelves. Each shelf is completely separate from the rack and is 19″x15″ and covered in 1/4″ wire mesh with all sharp edges taken off and stapled inside the edges. Each shelf is 6 inches apart and has a backboard to stop the rack from being pushed out the back.
I built it from used 2×4’s (the off colored ones), 1×2 furring strips and the excess wire mesh from making the quail pen. I only had to buy furring strips and staples to build this because I ran out. The staples cost more than the strips did.
Anyway, I put the beast together and it’s pretty sturdy. I wanted to make it lighter, but I didn’t have money to spend on supplies, so I just used what I have. On top of that, all the shelves fit beautifully! For someone who has literally only built this and the quail pen in my entire life, it’s not bad! I did take it inside and painted everything but the shelves with latex paint to cover up the color. The 2×4’s sat outside for a couple of years, so they were discolored and dirty. I brushed them off and painted them to seal it in and make it look cleaner.
We tucked the finished product in our bedroom to keep the room smelling nice from the fresh soap and it just fit in the corner really well. I couldn’t be happier with this project, it went really well!!
If anyone is interested in schematics or anything, let me know, I can whip some up. This would be a great rack for drying herbs or possibly fruit as well.
I look forward to sharing our soaps with you!!
Don’t forget to subscribe!