Chickens — Candled Day #10

Hey Everyone!

Gem_(Easter_Egger_hen)

Well, I just got done candling the chicken eggs today and I thought I would share the results.

I’m sure most of you heard, but I ordered 18 eggs originally and 5 were broken in shipping. I was really afraid that the rest would have been scrambled from being dropped, but that seems to not be the case.

Day #10 Candling—DUE DATE NOV. 20th

Candling today showed 9 embryos actively moving out of the 13 eggs. This included all 3¬†Ameraucanas and 4 Rhode Island Reds. I found 1 RIR to be unfertilized and 3 more eggs had “blood rings” showing that the embryo had started to develop, then stopped for some reason. I’m giving them a couple more days to make sure I’m not making a mistake, but I’m 99.9% sure I’m right.

I forgot to write which eggs had the blood rings, so I’m unsure of the final count. But I also know that you shouldn’t count your chickens until they’re hatched, but I can confidently say that right now, there are 9 healthy embryos working away.

I candled the quail eggs before, but they are so small and dark it’s almost impossible to see what’s going on. But with these chicken eggs you can see everything!! I could see the little embryos kicking around and moving, which was gross and cool simultaneously. The quail eggs had a tendency to go completely opaque if they were bad, but the chicken eggs seem to stay clear enough to see if they are good or not, which is nice. I’m learning a lot on this batch!

I have been finding the incubator to be a hair inconsistent. It seems that the fan doesn’t want to remain upright, which is shifting airflow. A small shift in the angle of the fan can cause the incubator to totally change temperature in different places. I turned it up a bit today to keep the bottom of the incubator above 99F while the eggs are turned (they are on a rocking platform).

Blue Splash Wheaten Eggs- Day #3—DUE DATE NOV. 27th

I’m not going to candle these eggs for another week. It’s only Day 3 and a lot can happen between day 3 and 10. Some of the original 13 eggs may have candled well on day 4, but they messed up by day 10. So I’ll just wait.

I’m a little unsure what to do with these guys when the other eggs start hatching. I guess I can just leave them in the incubator and continue turning them in their little cartons. The new chicks shouldn’t be able to hurt them at all. I imagine it will be fine.

Well, that’s what’s up with the chickens! We’re looking at a nice blend of chicken breeds so far. Here’s hoping they all do well. We should have our final hatched numbers by Dec. 1st at the very latest. I can’t wait to see the little guys!

Don’t forget to subscribe.

Ben

Advertisements

2 Comments Add yours

  1. Exciting! I too find candleing quail eggs to be nearly impossible. I don’t even bother anymore.

    1. The quail eggs did suck, but from now on if I find a clear one, I’m going to get rid of it. That was really the only difference I could discern when I candled them the first time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s